The Son of God is Not as Omniscient as the Father

This Christian forum is for instruction on subjects of lesser importance: The nature of the Godhead, the human nature of Christ, eschatological perfection, spiritual gifts, etc.
Eugene Shubert
Seventh-day Shubertian
Seventh-day Shubertian

The Son of God is Not as Omniscient as the Father

Post by Eugene Shubert » Fri Feb 01, 2008 2:14 pm

Christ's limited omniscience is as plainly evident in the writings of Ellen G. White as in the Bible:

"All the heavenly host were summoned to appear before the Father, to have each case determined. Satan unblushingly made known his dissatisfaction that Christ should be preferred before him. He stood up proudly and urged that he should be equal with God, and should be taken into conference with the Father and understand his purposes. God informed Satan that to his Son alone he would reveal his secret purposes, and he required all the family in heaven, even Satan, to yield him implicit, unquestioned obedience; but that he (Satan) had proved himself unworthy a place in heaven." — The Signs of the Times, January 9, 1879.

"The revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave him to show his servants what must soon take place." Revelation 1:1.

For a deeper explanation, just consider Christ is God by Imputation.

Waldo
ex-SDA
ex-SDA

Re: The Son of God is Not as Omniscient as the Father

Post by Waldo » Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:07 am

Fine article. Doesn't leave much to be said until the very end. I understand there to be two, distinct "persons", not three. I understand the Comforter to be the Spirit of the Two. More specifically, the Spirit of Christ. "I will come to you". I've never discovered a name for the "holy Ghost" and I don't believe in ghosts. I have, however, run across many names for Jesus, one of which is Michael.

Good read, Eugene. I had to read it a couple of times and will likely read it several more.

Eugene Shubert
Seventh-day Shubertian
Seventh-day Shubertian

Post by Eugene Shubert » Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:43 am

Hi Waldo,

I agree that I should have been more explicit on the Holy Spirit in that one article. But I did write up the necessary conclusion elsewhere.

At http://everythingimportant.org/religioustotalitarianism I wrote:
I'm not a Greek or Hebrew scholar but I do believe that I have the discernment to distinguish between truth and error. From my studies of reliable commentaries, I do recall that in the original language of Scripture the Holy Spirit is sometimes literally referred to as It. Nevertheless, I believe that It is a divine Person. One evidence for that is that we can grieve the Holy Spirit (Ephesians 4:30) and lie to It (Acts 5:3-4). Better yet, I believe that the Personhood of the Holy Spirit is best established on 1 Corinthians 2:10-11. "The Spirit searches all things, even the deep things of God. For who among men knows the thoughts of a man except the man's spirit within him? In the same way no one knows the thoughts of God except the Spirit of God."
The real problem is that my name is Shubert and that I have started many wonderful unfinished symphonies and I have no great desire to finish most of them. I suppose that I can just copy and paste the above paragraph into the article and be done with it. Nevertheless, please understand that the KJV translating the Holy Spirit as the Holy Ghost is irrelevant to everyone except for those who belong to the "King James only" cult. Also, it would be absurd to argue that the Holy Spirit needs a name to be a Person.

Gunther
Seventh-day Adventist
Seventh-day Adventist

Post by Gunther » Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:18 am

Clearly, you are either omniscient or you are not. Similarly, Christ's divinity will not be diminished by His representation of our race throughout eternity. Jesus Christ, God the Father, and the Holy Spirit have worked together in cooperation from eternity - a concept that won't be fully understood or appreciated and grasped throughout the ceaseless ages.

Take a look at the following statements by EGW. The cooperative nature, and eternal sacrifices made by each member of the Godhead are so tremendous, I dare say we fail to fully appreciate them because we think in finite terms.

Omnipotence, God Exerts, Over Himself--The longsuffering of God is remarkable, for it indicates that He is putting constraint upon His own attributes. It is His omnipotence exerted over Himself. Why has the Lord borne with the continual increase of defiance against His laws, given to govern the human agencies He has created? He has borne long with their perversity, and at the same time He has been giving continual light to those who remain obedient. He sees that life is becoming intolerable because of cruelty. This is because men have changed His laws.--Ms 59, 1906.

-350- {3MR 349.2}
Omniscience of God.--Should the Lord Jesus anoint the eyes of fallen mortals, and lay open to their inspection the mysteries of His providence, they would see that not for a moment has any transaction of any human being been unknown to the Lord.--Undated Ms 54. {3MR 350.1}

Christ, the divine God who is just as eternal as God the Father, sacrificed the attribute of Omniscience, just as the Holy Spirit and God sacrificed other attributes. Christ cannot be omnipresent, other than through the Holy Spirit - his personal representative. Christ gave up the ability to be omnipresent in order to represent us forever as the God - Man. This is confirmed in EGW's writings.

Cumbered with humanity, Christ could not be in every place personally; therefore it was altogether for their advantage that He should leave them, go to His father, and send the Holy Spirit to be His successor on earth. The Holy Spirit is Himself divested of the personality of humanity and independent thereof. He would represent Himself as present in all places by His Holy Spirit, as the Omnipresent. "But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in My name, He shall (although unseen by you), [THIS PHRASE WAS ADDED BY ELLEN WHITE.] teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you" [John 14:26]. "Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will come not unto you; but if I depart, I will send Him unto you" [John 16:7]. {14MR 23.3}

In short, Christ's "Limited Omniscience" should not be taken as Him being inferior somehow to the other members of the Godhead. It was the Father who refers to the Son as "God" (Heb. 1:8) 8But unto the Son he saith, Thy throne, O God, is for ever and ever: a sceptre of righteousness is the sceptre of thy kingdom. "

Eugene Shubert
Seventh-day Shubertian
Seventh-day Shubertian

Post by Eugene Shubert » Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:01 am

Hi Gunther,

This is what I mean by limited omniscience. To account for the Ellen White's statement in the opening post and a host of details in Scripture, I have concluded that the Father knows the end from the beginning but the Son only knows all possible futures with perfect comprehension plus all that the Father reveals to Him. My complete thesis is located at http://everythingimportant.org/Godhead/

Gunther
Seventh-day Adventist
Seventh-day Adventist

Post by Gunther » Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:33 am

Thanks for sharing your thesis. Will take a look.

God Bless

CTC
Site Admin
Site Admin

Jamie, welcome to this forum

Post by CTC » Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:47 am

Jamie wrote:New here and your information is pretty helpful but if you could replace the word comforter with some other word. It will be more reasonable. As comforter shows that we are talking about bedspreads or coverlets!

Jamie, there are many English words that have multiple meanings. Please see the Merriam Webster dictionary for comforter, for example.
Full Definition of COMFORTER
  1. capitalized: HOLY SPIRIT
    : one that gives comfort
  1. : a long narrow usually knitted neck scarf
    : a thick bed covering made of two layers of cloth containing a filling (as down)
Also, please understand that many translations of John 16:7 speak of the Holy Spirit as the Comforter. These include the King James Version, American Standard Version, English Revised Version, Webster's Bible Translation and Young's Literal Translation.

For example, here is Webster's Bible Translation of John 16:7:

Nevertheless, I tell you the truth: It is expedient for you that I depart; for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come to you; but if I depart, I will send him to you.

Zog Has-fallen
Seventh-day Shubertian
Seventh-day Shubertian

There Can Only Be One All-knowing God

Post by Zog Has-fallen » Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:27 pm

When I was a child, I realized that there could only be one all-knowing God. Indisputably, if God and Jesus know what each other are thinking, and are able to access each other's deepest thoughts and emotions, then They are essentially just one mind in two different bodies. Logically speaking, just because I have a left-hemisphere and a right-hemisphere, it doesn't make me two persons.