Annulment & Remarriage

Do you seek advice on personal or interpersonal concerns or issues? Get help here.
Bro.Brown
Seventh-day Adventist
Seventh-day Adventist

Annulment & Remarriage

Post by Bro.Brown » Mon May 05, 2003 4:34 pm

I am a Seventh-Day Adventist.

My girlfriend once married a friend (in a courthouse) to try to help him with his citizenship, but got an annulment a week later after finding out what would be required. She did not do it for money and the marriage was never consummated.

She has since become a member of the SDA church. We are currently working on our relationship, but after paying more attention to Corinthians we are a bit worried.

If we got married in the future would that result in adultery? As such, we're not sure how to proceed with our relationship. We want to eventually get married, but not if it means going against God's will.

I know these are probably not your typical questions but I hope that you will be able to answer them. Thank you.

Bro D Brown

Eugene Shubert
Seventh-day Shubertian
Seventh-day Shubertian

Post by Eugene Shubert » Tue Jul 22, 2003 4:59 pm

Dear Brother Brown,

Are you still dating your girlfriend? I don’t see a legal arrangement as a marriage.

I did a quick search on google for marriage in Bible times and found Marriage Through Hebrew Eyes. From what I’ve read there, I believe that a real marriage is based on a sincerely expressed commitment. Your girlfriend is free to get married. Will she be marrying you?

Prakk
is under review
is under review

Post by Prakk » Mon Nov 22, 2004 4:26 pm

There is no such thing as an anullment by scriptural standards. Once a vow takes place with the consent of the parents it's marriage. However, if this foreigner seeking citizenship was not a believer and "left" the whole issue is moot. She would not be bound. Sounds like we need a few facts.

Hugh McBryde

singing_waitress
Seventh-day Adventist
Seventh-day Adventist

Post by singing_waitress » Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:28 am

My friend got kicked out of his Adventist family because he married a divorced woman. They told him that the bible says not to marry a divorced woman. She divorced her first husband for beating and raping her and having affairs. How is that a marriage?

Well, they've been married for many years now and have kids. His family refuses to have anything to do with them.

Dzien Dobry
Confessing Millerite Adventist
Confessing Millerite Adventist

Post by Dzien Dobry » Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:08 pm

singing_waitress wrote:My friend got kicked out of his Adventist family because he married a divorced woman. They told him that the bible says not to marry a divorced woman. She divorced her first husband for beating and raping her and having affairs.
Hi Singer,

Those Adventists don't know their Bible. They need to be told that Jesus permitted divorce and remarriage for the man or woman when the spouse commits "marital unfaithfulness."

"It has been said, 'Anyone who divorces his wife must give her a certificate of divorce.' But I tell you that anyone who divorces his wife, except for marital unfaithfulness, causes her to become an adulteress, and anyone who marries the divorced woman commits adultery." Matthew 5:31,32.

"I tell you that anyone who divorces his wife, except for marital unfaithfulness, and marries another woman commits adultery." Matthew 19:9.

KenPatrick
is under review
is under review

Re: Annulment & Remarriage

Post by KenPatrick » Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:51 am

es you can, but she needs to get an marriage anullment which is done very quickly, as long as there was no ceremony at the church on the previous marriage. I know you can get married because i went through the same and we are getting married in december. I suggest you to get in touch with an attorney of the canonic law within your archdiocese, someone who deals with divorce, anullments and such. Dont trust the RCIA or the person in charge of marriage preparation because they might not be as wise as you think and as they think they are. I listened to them and trusted their word and knowledge, their answer was NO, and it turns out they were wrong. Finally, after many years we are getting married.